Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Halal Spaghetti Carbonara (No Pork)


Spaghetti was the only type of pasta mum used to cook, and always in one way; with meat and tomato sauce. Actually it was at that time a side dish beside leftovers, i remember that pasta dishes were not of my favorite. Even dad had never liked pasta dishes, till now!! Pasta is not related to any of the Arab food. But for me, when I started showing interest in cooking and experimenting with new recipes, pasta dishes became a staple in the weekly menu for my family. Especially, that they are easy to make, and my husband loves everything pasta <3
One of the simplest and easiest pasta dishes that I have encountered in all cooking books was the Italian ‘spaghetti carbonara’ which is composed mainly of eggs, cheese, bacon, and black pepper. I wanted to try this dish in the ‘halal’ version; so I have just substituted smoked hot dog for the bacon, because I could not find turkey bacon in the market.
Off course any type of pasta will go fine with this recipe. For the cheese, my preference is a mix of parmesan and pecorino but sometimes I just use what’s available in the fridge.
Here’s my simple recipe for making the carbonara pasta. You can feel free to sauté onion and/or garlic with the oil before adding the hot dog.
Ingredients for 3 servings:
250 g spaghetti (half a packet)
2 eggs
25 g grated Parmesan
25 g grated Pecorino
2 tablespoons olive oil
200 g (1can) smoked hotdog, cut into 2cm pieces
salt and pepper to taste
Parsley, Basel, or oregano (optional)
Preparation:
-          Put the pasta to boil in salted boiling water.
-          Whisk the eggs, add the cheeses and mix them.
-          Heat the olive oil; add the hotdog and sauté until golden brown.
-          Drain pasta from the water; leave a few spoonfuls of it. Add the pasta to the pan with the hotdog, sauté them for a minute. Remove from heat and add the egg mixture. Stir vigorously to distribute the egg and cheese mixture between the spaghetti. If necessary, add a few tablespoons of the pasta boiling water.
-          Season with salt and pepper to taste.
-          Sprinkle with more cheese and herbs (if using) and serve immediately.
The American way may substitute the pasta water with 125 ml cooking cream added with the egg mixture.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment